Like everything, characteristics go in pairs. People are generally not “A “BUT” B. They are A “AND” B.
Take my mother. You could say she is tough and has an amazing willpower and drive, BUT she is manipulative and annoying.
In fact she is tough and has an amazing willpower and drive , AND she is manipulative and annoying. The characteristics are related. She wouldn’t be one without the other.
But I wanted to write mainly about my multitasking.
My ex colleagues would probably tell you that I was fast, organised, competent. I managed to be up to date with my patients and paperwork and still go to the gym lunchtime. They struggled, staying at work long after I left for home.
I was able to read reports while waiting for the next patient to come from the waiting room, flick on my computer screen between results of various patients and not make mistakes.
But at home, sometimes I overdo it. At home, I am also much less careful not to make a mistake.
So I am fast and organised, able to multitask , BUT I often mess things up- booking a wrong holiday resort or flight, or burning the food I am cooking.
As with my mother, you should replace the “BUT” by “AND”.
So I am fast and organised, able to multitask AND I often mess things up- booking a wrong holiday resort or flight, or burning the food I am cooking.
Yesterday was an example of my normal day. I am a bit crazy.
So yesterday I simultaneously:
1) Wrote bits on Goodreads discussions in a group I am part of, but where I feel like an impostor- Classics and the Western Canon.The discussion was about Internet and modern technology being a bad thing.I love modern technology, probably to a fault. This joke seems to be about me.:
2) I rewrote five chapters of my sequel. I do not know yet how I am going to end my novel and the characters’ fate is totally in my hands. It is great, I have total power over them!
I typed on my laptop while watching the food and occasionally stirring or adding water to the sauce. The keyboard on my laptop got a bit sticky from the food on my fingers.
3) I roasted mustard marinated beef and prepared starters, salads, desert and set the table for my friends who were coming for dinner.While cooking, I also listened to two lectures from The Teaching Company about History of Argument on my iPod. Those lectures are a bit too academic but very good. Or should I say “Those lectures are a bit too academic and very good”?
4) I wrote 5 emails to various friends. I like writing emails, but I occasionally cut and paste bits. Sometimes, it goes wrong, and it is quite obvious that I copied bits from an email I wrote to someone else. I once send an email to my son, addressed “Dear Maria”. He took it well and laughed. He got more ammunition for teasing me later.
So I am good at keeping in touch, but I take shortcuts and cut and paste in a careless manner.
Again it should be as follows:
I am good at keeping in touch, and I take shortcuts and cut and paste in a careless manner.
5) I applied on line for voluntary erasure from medical register. As you know, I recently retired. It was complicated, I had to concentrate on that, and I did.
6) I washed some bedding and ironed while listening to more academic lectures.
7) I did a short workout and then I dressed and put make up and earrings on to look presentable. Older women need to take more effort with their appearance, and I do. I was talking to a friend in Prague on Skype on the loudspeaker on my phone while putting eyeliner on, and I smudged it. I looked like a clown and had to do it again.
8) I prepared more food for for other visitors who are coming for lunch today.
9) I watered my plants while making gravy and watching the roast potatoes. I watered my poor cacti a bit too much when my phone rang and I picked it up, talking while carrying on watering.
I did not burn anything. The dinner party was a success, the conversation was fun, and they liked the food. I was lucky this time. Apart from the cacti, no mishaps.
But I was multitasking when I recently booked my holiday flight to a wrong airport, and I completely burned supper in the summer when my ex-husband came to visit for a couple of days. He fortunately did not think that I did it on purpose.
I am impatient, so I LIKE multitasking ,but I sometimes mess things up.
I am impatient ,so I LIKE multitasking, and I sometimes mess things up.
Have to go- need to finish lunch, put my make-up and earrings on, dress and phone my mother before my guests arrive….
Wish me luck!